Monday, May 31, 2010

Almost finished....

Well I finally got around to sewing my McCalls 5523 skirt in View A, with my super awesome leopard fabric. All was going swimmingly until I pretty much finished and then wondered how I was going to finish the seam allowances. I had failed to read through the instructions (recently, anyways) and thought they would address that at the end. The last pattern I sewed was from Diana Rupp's book and it was a "beginner" pattern, so she went over that in the instructions. I guess McCalls assumes I'm not a noob and will know to finish my seam allowances as I go. Lame. Now I don't know what to do. From the outside the skirt looks great. But the inside? Not so much. I don't even think pinking them will work, the fabric is kinda prone to fraying. Grrrr! I don't think I have enough sanity to unpick everything and start again. Any ideas? I have to save it, because I love it already. Do you ever sew anything and by the time you're done with it you really don't want to wear it? This is not the case. I LOVE this skirt. I tried it with a purple top and matching shoes earlier. LOVE! I love leopard and purple. So as you can see, I really need to figure out how to salvage this. Perhaps I'll line it so all the seams are enclosed within the liner? Maybe? Ideas? Bueller? Bueller? lol I'll talk to you guys soon. Hopefully with a finished skirt to show you. Aloha all!

P.S. I have a GIANT Fabric Fairy post for ya'll. I think she likes me or something. lol

1 comment:

  1. Depending on the width of your seam allowances you should be able to overcast the seams. Do you have an overcasting foot? They don't cost too much. They generally "faux serge" raw edges to 3 mm so if you have a half inch (or even better 5/8 seam allowance) it will likely work. I've overcast after stitching sides together. It's not so tricky.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...