Monday, September 20, 2010

DIY Pattern Weights

Hello Bloggy Friends! Today for show and tell I have a little project I just completed. Nothing as super cool as my last skirt, but pretty useful for lots of people. Pattern weights! Not just any pattern weights though. Shiny gold pattern weights!!!

You can buy pattern weights. These are made by Dritz.

They are, however, ugly. I didn't want to pay for ugly. My inner Drag Queen compels me to surround myself with things that are shiny, sparkly, glittery, or animal print. So I decided to take things into my own (glitter tipped) hands. :)

The recipe:

One box of washers.
One can of spray paint. I picked gold.

Some newspapers.

Instructions: Spray, let dry, flip over, and repeat. Repeat all steps until desired brilliance.

The end result: The total cost is a little over 8.00 dollars. I still have tons of paint left though, so really, I'd say it costs less than 5 dollars. The Dritz ones sell from 8.00 to 10.00 dollars (for four) depending where you buy. I have 15 for about 5.00 dollars.

Note: I know this is not totally original and lots of sewists use washers to cut their patterns with. However, they are pretty and I wanted to share. :)

Also: I received my Sencha and Crepe patterns from Colette patterns today. I'm supposed to work on McCall's 5977 this week, but now I'm feeling the urge to bust out my new Sencha. Tough decisions!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...