Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My 1 Hour Polka Dot Skirt

 What's up bloggy friends?  I'd like to introduce you to the worlds fastest skirt.  I'm still in the middle of organizing my studio and am loath to bust out any paper patterns in the midst of all this chaos.  Is there anything more annoying than losing a piece of a pattern in the middle of construction?

Anyways, I've come across a dozen tutorials for a 1 hour skirt using elastic for the waist.  I'm not normally a fan of elastic waist garments, as they make me think of children's clothing but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Recipe for a 1 hour skirt
- 1 end of a flat sheet 
- A piece of elastic two or so inches less than my waist measurement.
- Sewing machine, thread, pins, iron, fabric shears

During the summer while I was waiting for all my household goods (including all my fabric) to be delivered, I picked up a twin sheet set of polka dot fabric.  I figured it was 10 bucks for several yards, and I like polka dots.  I had envisioned making a polka dot Sorbetto.  This has a very stiff hand and pretty much no drape at all, so no Sorbetto with this fabric.  However, it works with this application.  I cut the fabric several inches wider than my actual hip measurement because I wanted the skirt to look very full and it stands out nicely. 

Because I used the hemmed end of the sheet, my side seams and hem were already finished.  All I had to do was sew up the side seam and create the waistband casing for the elastic.  I'm pretty meticulous about measuring and pressing, so that was the most time consuming part of the project.  That, and inserting the elastic.  Oh, and ripping it back out because I didn't pull tight enough when I measured.  If not for those things, it really would've been a 1 hour project.  Still, not bad for an evening.

 It doesn't seem so impressive on the hanger, and it definitely has to be worn with a belt.  I still don't like the look of the elastic waist.  But, I think I'd call this a success.  Here it is styled for work. 
I need to fire my photographer.  This was 1 of 7 shots taken in about 45 seconds between rounds of a video game. :sigh:  Perhaps it's time to invest in one of those camera remotes.

I love these shoes.  They hurt like hell and were only worn for the photos.  lol  I promise I don't teach preschool in heels.  But they are so so pretty.  That's all for now.  See ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. Totally adorable! What a great way to spend an hour :-) And the shoes look great with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute skirt! I love the color combo of the complete look too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...