Saturday, January 5, 2013

Completed: A Leopard-ish V1179

Hello Bloggy Amigos!  I. am. so. excited!  I've sewn!  Me!  Who hasn't sewn in almost a whole year has finally sewn something.  And it's a dress!  My first dress!  And I actually like it and will wear it!!!  That's a lot of exclamation points.  How about I stop shouting at you and show you my dress?
 

I've had this pattern in my stash for-ever!  But I'd never sewn a knit before, and for some reason had convinced myself they were difficult to sew.  I don't know why.  It sewed up like a dream.  I don't know what the fabric is, I bought it along with a giant box of vintage patterns and notions for 20 bucks right before we left the states.  I'll have to write a post about that box, it's like a time capsule!


Anyways, I wasn't 100% in love with it (like I am with some of my other fabric) so  I used it to make a wearable toile.  Um, you can bet I'm going to wear the heck out of this.  I made minor adjustments.  Despite staystitching the neckline, it stretched a fair bit and the cowl didn't fit in nicely.  I added two pleats to the back and everything worked out.  I didn't have clear elastic for the shoulders, so I just used some thin black elastic instead.  I turned and stitched the armholes instead of using elastic or bias binding.  They aren't perfect but I'll probably end up wearing a cardigan anyway.  I didn't take a huge hem like suggested, just a simple turn and stitch.  I plan to wear this at work and I wanted a little more length, plus I'm lazy.  I left the side seams unfinished because 1. It's a knit and won't unravel (WHY!? Did I never sew with knits?  They're awesome!) and 2.  I plan on shrinking and it'll be easy to take in.


Here are a couple outtakes from the Hubster, who thinks he is. so. funny.  There were a couple of my butt too.  Silly Hubster.  He says I'm a diva to photograph....



I don't know what he's talking about....but I do suddenly remember why I wanted a tripod and a remote control for the camera. Ta-ta for now, Bloggy amigos!  I've already got another one of these planned.  Snake print V1179, anyone? :)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, you did a great job, I love the print

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I LOVE knits. Love them. They're not as hard as everyone says they are. Sure, you need to be careful, but ultimately, they're not too bad.
    2. I LOVE this dress! I love the print and it looks great on you!

    I also love the flowers on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look TERRIFIC! Excellent dress. I do love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...